3.14.2014

#NailFail


Finished - livable for now

 TOTALLY janked this one up, y'all, but I worked on it so long that I simply refuse to start over from scratch. But let me lead you through the agonizing process and show you how I managed to finally come out with something that I can live with - at least until Tuesday when I have time to fix it.

So, I saw this really awesome technique today on nailnerd.com and really wanted to try it. Also, I bought a bottle of Orly polish last weekend in this really pretty light grey (even though I know better) and I wanted to try it out. My plan was to use a bright yellow & pink and make a cross-hatch design over the grey. So I applied 2 coats of the base and while I was letting it dry, I painted some yellow and pink on a ziplock bag.
plastic bag with my 'transfers' waiting
Ignore the obvious humps from the leftover overlays
I let the polish dry for a while and decided I was ready to cut my cross hatch pieces and get to work. It didn't work. They cut ok, but then they all started sticking together and I couldn't get the polish off the baggie unless it was tacked onto another strip of polish at which time it just made a nasty mess.


So here I am with grey nail and really, really wanted some bright color on them.So, I broke out my washi tape (the mini had used all the scotch tape or I would have used it) and taped off my nails, leaving a triangle open on the tip. My idea was to do a yellow and pink chevron, but as happens frequently with my half-arsed plans, that was a bomb, too.
Just ewww
So, the first thing I thought when I started applying the yellow is that I should've put it down first instead of the grey. With the grey behind it, it really muted the bright, happiness of the color and gave it a bit of a baby-puke undertone. Then I had trouble lining the tape up on top of the yellow to get a nice even triangle so they look all wonky. As a last ditch attempt to save them I added a couple of coats of an iridescent glitter. It helped a bit, but you can't really tell in the picture. Yuck. I hate them.

Finally, after looking at the hot mess for about a half hour, I decided to try one of my new stamping plates out (Pueen Stamping Buffet 2014) and hopefully hide the most of the jankiness under a wild pattern.


I found a decently angular pattern and stamped over the mess with black. I topped it off with a coat of Seche Vete to seal it (until I get time to redo!) and called it done. Definitely not one of my favorites, but at least its something I can live with for a few days.

Tomorrow I'm going to visit my nieces and fully intend to use them as guinea pigs for more nail experiments.

Happy weekend everybody!

0 comments:

Post a Comment