9.18.2014

31 Day Challenge, Day 6: Monochromatic

I know, I know. I'm not doing anything fancy, but I have been wanting a reason to use my matte top coat and this was the perfect opportunity.

Today's manicure is simply 2 coats of essie's Chills & Thrills with Seche Vite on part and Sally Hansen's Big Matte Top Coat on the other. Incidentally, my non-dominant hand is a wreck this week. I cut my hand on a box and managed to break every single nail on that hand. So for the next few weeks, please bear with me as my dominant hand will be the main feature.



I really like how the same polish gets a completely different look just by using a different top coat. I have always been one to prefer a very shiny top on my polish. When I discovered SV, I was so excited! It gives even my cheap polish a beautiful wet sheen. But a while back I bought this matte topper thinking I would try something different. I've used it a couple of times but just don't like the way it looks over the whole nail. When I was thinking about monochromatic colors that I could use for this manicure I realized this would be a perfect opportunity to use it!

To get this look, I used:
  1. One coat of Sally Hansen Hard as Wraps as a base coat. 
  2. One coat of Orly Bonder Rubberized Base Coat
  3. Two coats of essie Chills and Thrills. It's a much purple-er color than what it shows here. I cannot get my camera to capture it in it's true form.
  4. One coat of Seche Vite over the entire nail surface
  5. Tape off a diagonal stripe using scotch tape (I used washi tape because it doesn't stick as permanently and doesn't pull up the polish). Make sure your polish is completely dry or you risk messing up your base when you pull the tape up.
  6. Apply one coat of Sally Hansen Big Matte Top Coat over the exposed nail. 
  7. Immediately remove the tape from the nail slowly. 
  8. Enjoy!

0 comments:

Post a Comment